What will the new museum and gallery offer ?
- It will provide a new opportunity to inspire passion for: learning, discovery, art and history.
- A state of the art contemporary public space, at the heart of the city, for culture lovers, historians, businesses and many more to hold world class events and private viewings.
- Inspirational learning spaces for schools, colleges and community groups.
- Enable the St Albans story and its exceptional importance to national heritage to be properly told, ensuring residents and visitors can share, and take pride in, the history of the city.
- A new art gallery equipped to host exhibitions of national and international importance.
- A journey of learning that starts in the building but continues on, signposting people out into the mediaeval streetscape and to the other key heritage sites across the city.
- Increase visitor numbers from an annual average of circa 15,000 (visitor numbers at the Museum of St Albans before it closed) to over 200,000, impacting massively on the tourist economy.
- Restore a Grade II* listed building to its former glory providing a flagship heritage building for St Albans.
We've produced a couple of videos to show you more about our plans and what we're up to behind the scenes: