A symbol of civic pride
St Albans' Clock Tower is the only surviving medieval town belfry in England and is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The people of St Albans built the tower, which was completed by 1405 as a symbol of their resistance against the power of the abbot of St Albans. The Tower allowed the town to sound its own hours and, until 1863, the curfew.
The Clock Tower's bell rang out for the first Battle of St Albans during the Wars of the Roses in 1455.
Today, the tower - and its 600 year old bell - still stands face to face with the abbey's tower and provides fantastic views across over St Albans and far into the Hertfordshire countryside.
A paper by F G Kitton on the origin and history of the Clock Tower is available from The St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural & Archaeological Society's website.
Poverty and Want in Past Times
This exhibition will be on display in the Clock Tower from 19 April - 15 September 2019. It highlights the treatment of the poor and destitute in St. Albans over the centuries. It was first shown as part of the Squatlife exhibition held at St Albans Museum + Gallery in the summer 2018, funded by the Heritage Lottery and organised by the St Albans Arts Team.