A symbol of civic pride
St Albans' Clock Tower is the only surviving medieval town belfry in England and is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The people of St Albans built the tower between 1403 and 1412 as a symbol of their resistance against the power of the abbot of St Albans. The Tower allowed the town to sound its own hours and, until 1863, the curfew.
The Clock Tower's bell rang out for the first Battle of St Albans during the Wars of the Roses in 1455.
Today, the tower - and its 600 year old bell - still stands face to face with the abbey's tower and provides fantastic views across over St Albans and far into the Hertfordshire countryside.
A paper by F G Kitton on the origin and history of the Clock Tower is available from The St Albans and Hertfordshire Architectural & Archaeological Society's website.